As a lawsuit lingers, Camping World CEO Marcus Lemonis stands resilient, insisting that the gargantuan American flag raised above his business will not be lowered. The controversy surrounds the dimensions of the flag, which some deem too enormous.
Lemonis revealed to Chicago Tribune that his robust 3,200-square-foot flag is the center of a contentious legal dispute with the city of Statesville, North Carolina. The city argues that the flag is in violation of a city ordinance which caps the size of flags within city limits at 25 by 40 feet.
In defiance of the ordinance, Lemonis has publicly declared, “The flag will not come down.” He further expressed on Twitter that flag size restrictions should not apply to patriotism.
The Chicago Tribune reported that the lawsuit, filed last year, insists on the flag’s reduction or removal. It also alleges that every day the massive emblem remains, it nets a civil penalty of $50. As it stands, the city claims that Camping World owes over $11,000 in fines and legal fees.
On the topic of fees, Lemonis stated, “Whether it’s $500 or $50 a day, our principle is that you don’t mess with the size of the flag. Period.”
Actually, this is not the first time Lemonis has been ensnared in a flag-related controversy. An RV dealership he owns in Gadsden, Alabama also displayed a massive flag that city officials contested.
Lemonis responded to the officials in Gadsden, “The city told us we had to take this flag down, and I said, ‘Nah. It’s not going to happen.'” He added that legal disputes such as these will not deter his sense of national pride.
The Camping World CEO underlines his belief in unbridled patriotism while facing the lawsuit in Statesville. Lemonis clarified, “In my opinion, this fight is emblematic of exactly what’s wrong with this country,” adding, “If flying a flag on a piece of property that’s not hurting a soul — that’s driven by a group of people who have sacrificed much, if that’s wrong then I’m confused.”
Last modified: April 2, 2025